Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Perl5-tut] Perl Intro: Subroutines and Scope
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:12 pm   Post subject: [Perl5-tut] Perl Intro: Subroutines and Scope

Recap

In the last Perl5 intro topic, I introduced a few subroutines that are standard in Perl: "push" and "scalar".

Let's look at how to create and use subroutines.

What is a subroutine?

They're Perl's version of functions and procedures; a way to organize executable code that achieves a certain goal and give it a meaningful name.

An easy example

Let's look at a basic subroutine that very simply prints "Hello world" to the console.

Perl:
sub say_hello {
   print "Hello world\n";
}

Nothing too fancy here. The "sub" keyword introduces a new subroutine, then we have the name of the subroutine, then a block containing the code for the subroutine.

Calling the subroutine is equally easy.

Perl:
say_hello;

What about arguments?

What if I want my subroutine to take an argument... the name of a person to greet?

Perl:
sub say_hello {
   my $name = shift @_;
   print "Hello $name\n";
}

Calling it is pretty easy:

Perl:
say_hello "Bob";

Okay, there was a lot of new stuff there. Let's look at it one bit at a time.

The basic form of the subroutine is the same. Nowhere do I explicitly state what arguments there are. Instead, any arguments to the subroutine get slurped up into the @_ array.

Perl:

The "shift" subroutine removes the first item from an array and returns it. Thus...

Perl:
$name = shift @_;

Assigns the first item in the argument list to the $name variable.

Perl:
my $name = shift @_;

The "my" keyword indicates that $name is local to the subroutine. Any $name variable existing outside of the subroutine is unaffected by whatwe do to this $name variable.

Perl:
"Hello $name\n"

Here we see an example of string interpolation. The value of the $name variable is inserted directly into the string. This only works with double-qouted strings, and not single-quoted strings.

The "print" should be easy enough to figure out.

Calling the subroutine can take two different forms.

Perl:
say_hello "Bob";

Or:

Perl:
say_hello("Bob");

Parentheses are not required, except to clarify which arguments belong to which subroutine in more complex expressions.

A little tip on arguments: "shift", if not given an argument, assumes you meant @_, so we can rewrite that subroutine a bit more concisely.

Perl:
sub say_hello {
   my $name = shift;
   print "Hello $name\n";
}

How did I make it assume, though?

Well, there's nothing forcing us to send a particular list of arguments to a subroutine. For instance, I could still call my "say_hello" subroutine like:

Perl:
say_hello;

When I ran it, I'd get a problem, but that's because inside the subroutine $name is undefined, and you can't insert undefined into a string.

That's not what I want. I want the subroutine to assume a certain value for that argument.

Perl:
sub say_hello {
   my $name = shift || "John";
   print "Hello $name\n";
}

This says, "shift from @_ or John... whichever works".
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As with variables, it's also possible to have references to subroutines.

Perl:
sub hello {
   print "Hello\n";
}

$sub_ref = \&hello;

& is the sigil for subroutines.

Dereferencing the subroutine is simple:

Perl:
&{$sub_ref};

Creating an anonymous subroutine reference is simple as well.

Perl:
$sub_ref = sub {
   print "Hello\n";
}

&{$sub_ref};
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: