Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The Turing Walkthrough - Beginning to End
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: The Turing Walkthrough - Beginning to End

The..Turing..Walkthrough

Welcome to the Walkthrough! This is a listing of the important tutorials in the [Turing Tutorials] forum. They are sorted by when you should learn them. In this way, it's sort of like a book. You can teach yourself Turing with this guide. It is unlike a book, though, in that the articles here are written by many different authors. A consequence of this is that styles will change from article to article. It is possible also that coding convention will change from article to article. This is regrettable. The best thing you can do is to follow the coding conventions yourself, and be consistent with yourself, even if you happen to be reading code that doesn't. That said, be sure to keep the Style Guidelines by wtd close at hand. Read the guidelines every now and then, and follow them!

This Walkthrough is written for people who are learning Turing without any prior programming experience. As such, if you are already a programming whiz and are just trying to tuck the Turing language under your belt, you might get a little bored by the pace of these tutorials. If so, you might want to consider reading a fastpaced introduction to Turing by Token. It won't take you all the way through Turing, but it'll take you through all the basic stuff that you really just want to learn the syntax for. For some of the more advanced topics, such as object oriented programming, you should probably read the regular Walkthrough tutorial, because Turing does OOP so different from other languages. If you know another language, you should check out Turing Translations by wtd. It translates many different introductory concepts into a dozen or so other languages. Find the code bits in the language(s) you know, understand them, then read how to do the same thing in Turing!

With that said, dive in! Check out the Essentials section and start reading the first tutorial on an unfamiliar topic. Also, glance over the Extras section and get an idea of what material is there. Then, whenever you feel you're ready (read: whenever you want to take a break from the real stuff and have some fun making games), read some of that material. The material there is mostly about graphics and advanced input. You know, game stuff.

Essentials
{

}

Extras
{

}

If you have any questions about anything covered in this walkthrough, please do not ask them here. Make a thread in the [Turing Help] forum.

Broken links? Want to write a tutorial? Private Message Tony (or Dan).
If you have any comments/suggestions as to the order of this tutorial, or the concepts covered/not covered, please let us know.

*edit* Wrong author credited with a tutorial. Fixed. -zylum
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

w00t w00t! This is some awesome stuff.

Goob job Cervantes. I think you deserve 500 bits so you'll be 500 bits richer than other mods, until you post again that is.
Delos

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Claping

I think I shall keep this link handy...since without explicit direction, few newcomers will ever find it.
Great work, as always.
(BTW, love the use of colours...now only if you learnt to spell 'programme' correctly...)
Malazan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow, that's a lot of stuff to learn on Turing. Thanks for making such a great topic, now I can actually learn how to use Turing well Wink
ltig99

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:33 pm   Post subject: Excellent

Good work! Smile
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yay now i can learn turing!
Flikerator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very, VERY detailed. Gj. The thing I notice is the lack of GUI.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:41 pm   Post subject: Re: The Turing Walkthrough - Beginning to End

Cervantes wrote:
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, though that only covers Buttons. There's a whole whack of other widgets that aren't explained. Not that they are much different, mind you. The most important part of a GUI tutorial would be explaining the general structure that GUI requires of your code: action procedures, widget creation, GUI.ProcessEvent. An expansion on this tutorial to cover things such as textfields, textboxes, radio buttons, check buttons, and the like would be good.
It is listed in the Improving Tutorials thread.
nitrox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:16 pm   Post subject: this site helps a lot for noobs to programing like me

[mod:01070149d5="Cervantes"]Yes, I'm sure a "website" with a jpg extension will help people learn Turing. Move along, if you have nothing helpful to add.[/mod:01070149d5]
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lolz, i just got to reading most of the tutorials in great detail (as a should have a year ago Embarassed ) i thank you again Cervantes for setting all this up, you should put this somewhere on the compsci turing homepage for quick refernence.
nmr123321

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks a lot. really helps for newbies like me
didsbub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very detailed walkthrough. It gave me good information and examples of code.
onemanyarmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:37 am   Post subject: View Update

i have a question about view update.. i used thee
View.Set("offscreenonly") code and then the view update inside a loop

but the thing is how do i end it? because i have other animations going on after and they dont show cuz of the view set.. is there to end it? or do i have to use view update through the whole thing?
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it's actually surprisingly simple

View.Set("nooffscreenonly")
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 80 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: