Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science Programs
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:17 pm   Post subject: Computer Science Programs

Well, being in gr. 12, I gotta apply to some universities eventually. And although almost all of them offer computer science, and quite a few offer software as well as computer engineering, does anyone know if there's any programs that might at least be worth looking into, OTHER than at Waterloo. Or should I just not bother and stick with only Waterloo?

BTW, how is computer science at Waterloo? For those of you that are there. And tony, what's mechatronics engineering like? That sounds pretty fun too.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you cant do math, dont goto waterloo. otherwise goto waterloo
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I can do math quite well. Very Happy
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science Programs

Genesis wrote:
And tony, what's mechatronics engineering like? That sounds pretty fun too.

oh, it is Wink In a nutshell, mechatronics is mechanical engineering++ Laughing

We get to build and program robots. Such as this project I'm working on right now 8)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
We get to build and program robots. Such as this project I'm working on right now Cool

That's awesome. Is that what the program is based on pretty much? Just designing/programming/building robots, or robotically controlled systems?
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Computer science at waterloo is bitchy. This is the website that has all of the assignments on it:

http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs134/

It's easy enough, but they are pretty picky about format.

Some of the upper year courses are interesting though apparently. Second year you get to make your own compiler. Other projects include real time debugging, graphics, and OS's (yes, you end up making an OS). Apparently they won't let anyone take all three of them in the same semester.

So yeah, so far so good. Math is a lot more fun though, the Putnam training is...intense. If you go to Waterloo, I definately recommend taking MATH 145/147 instead of the regular stream math. I have a lot more fun in it.

First year is in Java or Scheme (depending on what CS course you choose). Upper year courses are taught in C++, Java, PASCAL, Not quite C.

Also, the focus is on UNIX, so if you get the chance, I definately recommend installing linux and getting used to using a UNIX environment. Although it is by no means a prerequisite, it will make your first couple of weeks much less stressful.

The other thing is, if you are going to Waterloo, you HAVE TO take ECON 101. There is no excuse whatsoever not to; it is by far the most amazing class that I have. The prof, Larry Smith, is, in my opinion and in the general opinion of the university, the best professor in the school.

Expect a lot of work from CS at waterloo. You will probably only have ~15 hours of class, but the homework is fairly heavy. Don't worry though, there is plenty of spare time to be found. Another recommendation is, that when applying to rez, if you want to get into MKV (the newest rez), put down that you have some special diatary need, and you will get in. Otherwise, forget it.

So yeah, it's awesome here. The people here are very focused on school. Some of the classes get large (40 people in my math classes) but the profs always make time if you want to talk to them one on one.

Plus the benefit of being in CS is that all of your classes will be in the Math and Computer Science building, so 30 second walks between classes.
templest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science Programs

tony wrote:
Genesis wrote:
And tony, what's mechatronics engineering like? That sounds pretty fun too.

oh, it is Wink In a nutshell, mechatronics is mechanical engineering++ Laughing

We get to build and program robots. Such as this project I'm working on right now 8)

That's what I'm getting into... that is, of course if I don't decide to get into law. Confused I've been debating about this one for quite sometime: Law or CompSci. Thinking

I'm good at both is the issue. All my Enlish/Law/Politics teachers love my work, yet I'm a shoe-in for Waterloo (note: 96 Avg in all math classes). Neutral
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Genesis wrote:
Is that what the program is based on pretty much? Just designing/programming/building robots, or robotically controlled systems?

both really. Its kind of hard to explain. At the end of university you'll be able to do mechanical systems, electronics, system design, be able to put all of that together and write a program to make it all work Wink

It really depends on what you're into. I'd much rather be able to put a robotic system together and have it zoom though an obstical course (autonomously ofcourse) rather than write a simulation of the same task with preaty graphical interface. It's up to you.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mechatronics sounds really cool actually. Something I'd definatley enjoy. But then comes the question of am I going to need to have like a 98% average to get in?

And creating your own OS in computer science eh? Sounds like fun too. Razz Though I can't imagine anything better than building robots.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Genesis wrote:
But then comes the question of am I going to need to have like a 98% average to get in

I met people in my program who got in with high 80s Confused

What you have to do is make an impressive AIF (Additional Information Form) that shows that you belong in the program. That stuff is weighted heavily and could be equivalent of adding 10~15% to your average if you have the right stuff to put.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Check this out too: http://www.nanotech.uwaterloo.ca/
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

just note that drop out rate for CS program in waterloo is 50%. the math and CS gets REALLY tough in the end. you've gotta have the appropriate math background.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

as for homework, its not so much as its much, but it is quiet difficult. but i am taking advanced math/cs and i guarentee the normal math/cs will be much easier
Brightguy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:46 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Science Programs

Martin wrote:
So yeah, so far so good. Math is a lot more fun though, the Putnam training is...intense. If you go to Waterloo, I definately recommend taking MATH 145/147 instead of the regular stream math. I have a lot more fun in it.

Woah... you train for the Putnam in MATH 145/147!?! How do you 'train' for that? And a math class of 40 people is actually small...

Also, why should I take ECON 101? What's the course like and why is it so good?
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Putnam training is extra, not related to the math class that you take. 2 hours, one time a week. We get sample questions and just sit and talk about them.

As for ECON 101, the professor is amazing. Wheras your math classes and computer science classes will be just a step up (or a step down, as the case may be) from highschool, this class is something entirely different.

Read these comments: http://www.ratemyprofessors.ca/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=9845
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: