Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Best "Anything" in 20 Lines (Choose Your Language)
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:19 pm   Post subject: Best "Anything" in 20 Lines (Choose Your Language)

Okay, there was a contest like this some time ago, which turned into a best game in 20 lines.. but whatever. Here you can program whatever you want, just keep it *around* (preferrably under) 20 lines.

So the contest!

It will be open to any language (note ill need help with marking etc..), and will be marked on the following:

1. Intuitiveness - How interesting did you code your program to fit the restriction?
2. Performance - I don't want to have to wait forever for the program to execute
3. Attractiveness - It doesnt have to be perfect, but i dont want to see something utterly horrible (minor marks here)
4. Length - Marks will be taken off for going in excess of 20 lines

Anyone wishing to submit a submission PM the source to me and i will share it with no one but mods who wish to help with the marking. Please do not post your source here, but if you wish to post an executable, thats fine.

PRIZES
Prizes will be awarded to the top place program for each language, and in each category (if enough submissions are submitted per language). Prizes will be as follows (for each group):

1st: 200 bits
2nd: 100 bits
3rd: 50 bits
4th: 25 bits
5th: 10 bits

There will also be prizes for each language for other things:

Most Graphically Appealing: 100 bits
Best Effect: 100 bits
Most Complex: 50 bits
First Submission: 100 bits

It should be noted that the First Submission prize still has to be quality work, not just some hodgepodge of code you threw together just to get some easy bits. I would still like to see some decent work from everyone Very Happy

NOTE: Any mods willing to help out with bits would be much appreciated, i can give out some, I don't mind, but i don't know if I'll have enough Confused

Once again, this will be open to any language, and depending on the number of submissions will be split into two groups on the request of the submitter (when submitting your code to me via a PM, tell me if you want into the first category [less experience] or the second category [more experience], if the judges deem a submission to be good enough we may request that we can move it up a category)

Have fun with this and i hope to see some good submissions Very Happy

[edit]Deadline is one month from this post (ie. October 13 2006 at midnight)[/edit]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The problem with allowing any language is that most languages are a lot more flexible in what you can fit on one line than Turing. Oh well, I guess we'll see how it goes...
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats why i have it separated into a category for each language submitted Very Happy, in the 20 line count i will exclude whitespace (for those of you who like to use it) and in the cases of languages like C++, i will exclude lines consisting of just { or } and the newline at the end of the file (which some compilers require)
md

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what about something like
c++:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
int main(int argc, char** argv) { std::string name; std::out << "What is your name? "; std::cin >> name; std::cout << "Hello " << name << " welcome to the world!"; return 0; }

That's only one line; but more then one statment of code. And do the includes count? I'm seeing many a problem here... Razz
NikG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Plus what about something like visual basic...
seems like it could win the "graphically appealing" category with the fewest lines...
Clayton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

okay guys, read it over againg, there are prizes for each language submitted, including the special prizes, Cornflake, i dont know, if there tends are enough people that want the include line exluced then no they wont be counted
[edit]code will be required to be in good form ie, none of what md did Wink[/edit]
richcash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Good idea, this might be fun, but marking will be tough.

My main question is can we submit more than one program from the same language and our best program qualifies, or is it just one per language?

Also some advice, make it more like 10 bits for the first one submitted, unless there have already been submissions. Also, make the rewards for the best 4 or 5 programs from non-mods (but mods should still be able to participate), because mods can't even use the bits!

And one more thing, in Turing when code is indented, super-long lines are broken up, but technically it could be thought of as one line. Will you count these super-long lines as one line?
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

does bits really matter? you can make bits for just spamming like this.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So says the one with almost 7000 of 'em. Wink

Anyway, just in case no one enters, here's my win by default submission:
code:
loop
    Draw.FillOval(Rand.Int (1, maxx), Rand.Int (1, maxy), 4, 4, Rand.Int (1, 15))
end loop

Fun stuff.
richcash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
does bits really matter? you can make bits for just spamming like this.

Bits don't really matter to me, but there will definetely be more people entering the contest if there are bits to be handed out. I can't guarantee I'll enter something, but if I do I don't want to be the first out of five people, I want to be first out of 20+ (especially if any good programmers enter).

@Gandalf : Well, at least he can't penalize you in the length column. Wink
NikG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Anyway, just in case no one enters, here's my win by default submission:
code:
loop
    Draw.FillOval(Rand.Int (1, maxx), Rand.Int (1, maxy), 4, 4, Rand.Int (1, 15))
end loop
Isn't this program included as a sample with Turing? haha.
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

super-long lines will be counted as one, however, it must be in some sort of proper indenting (ie none of this:

Turing:

var a : string := "Turing!";put skip;put a

it must look the way it would with proper formatting.)

richcash, i will allow only two submissions from one person for any one language (ie you can submit two in turing two in c++ etc etc), however only the one of yours that scores best will count.

[Gandalf]: hmmm, 10 bits for that "excellent" entry?
richcash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
super-long lines will be counted as one

That's good.

Quote:
none of this

code:
var a : string := "Turing!";put skip;put a

lol, well obviously not, then any program (no matter how sophisticated) could be made in one line (and you don't even need those semi-colons!).
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about a traditional 80 column limit? That is, you can put multiple statements/expressions on a single line, but no line may exceed 80 columns.
richcash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't mind a column limit, but 80 is really low. Especially when you space it out and indent. For example, [Gandalf]'s middle line (for a lack of a better example) is 83 columns (including indenting and spaces). So I think maybe the 80 could be increased by a little (I mean a lot).

[edit] oh, now that I've read it closer, I see what wtd means. You can put anything you want on a line (improper indentation) as long as it's less than 80 columns.

That's a good idea, then you could have var, get, and put all on the same line and it still wouldn't take up much space on the line. So, everyone's program would be the same length : 20 lines x 80 columns.

That would make this a completely different contest, though, so I wonder if Freakman would want that [/edit]
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: