Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Old topics... 'nuff said?
Index -> Network News
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:21 pm   Post subject: Old topics... 'nuff said?

Hi.

One of my biggest annoyances is when I try to sign in on msn messenger, and then for no reason at all (no error messages or message boxes at all) it just stops. This can go on for minutes as I try to sign in several times. Very annoying.

But that's not the point of this. The point is that besides the messenger thing, I tend to get pretty tired of old posts being brought up. You know the ones I'm talking about? The ones that say things like Feb. 2004 or so.

If you find a post somewhere that was made a while ago, and you get the sudden urge to reply, could you do me a favor and just pm the poster instead? Unless you actually have something important or relevant that you're certain we should all know about.

For example: fifty billion years ago, tony made a post about a webcomic that he thought was funny and was relevant to a certain group of people on compsci.ca at the time. About a week or two ago, I went back to this post for whatever reason, and clicked on the link for the webcomic. Man, that's one hilarious comic. And now I have a new, more self-ethnically accurate avatar.
So what do I do? I consider, just for a moment, to post a reply in the thread. Something along the lines of "lol, just got around 2 reading that comic. fkn funny man lol". But besides the fact that I'd have to shoot myself for saying that, it would be a bunch of useless crap for anybody else to read about. Instead, I send a "private message" to him pointing out that it is indeed a bit late for such a comment, but I enjoyed the comic.
This way, a only have a maximum of 1 person to potentially annoy by the message, unless of course tony has multiple personalities or he enjoys reading private messages from me out loud to those around him. Neither of which I am at liberty to discuss.

So the moral of the story is that:
1) I'm not threatening to kill, flame, -bit, or curse you for bringing up old posts.
2) But please, it'd be nice if you didn't do it anyways.

Thanks, malaka.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ii dont agree. Confused

i believe it's fine to bring up an old post.. but so long as you do not reply to that post as if it was an active on going thread.

for example you may want to add in a suggestion not posted before to comment on the original author's works etc.. there really is no point in starting a new thread to do this simple task.. replying is fine, don't you think?

what i do believe is that the grammar and sentence structure should be given consideration.. as it is it is a post of the past. so using past tense in references or quotes would be a good idea. another thing is it would be pointless and useless to criticize/comment the original author on his works.. but this dosen't mean you can't criticize/comment his works. there's a difference and it is NOT subtle.

another thing, dont reply to converstions within that post that have headed in a tanget to the actual topic of post. that is redundant and foolish
templest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What's the link to that webcomic? Smile
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: